Colley Wood

Colley Wood street sign

Took its name in 1970 from a compartment of Bagley Wood called Colley`s Ladder as the nearby Hangman`s Bottom was considered unsuitable. Colley’s Ladder is thought probably to be a corruption of ‘Colly Launder Style on the Easte’, the description used in the indenture of 31st October 1557, by which St. John’s College acquired a part of Bagley Wood from Sir John Mason. The same indenture makes reference to one John Coolly of Hanborough as a woodman and, whilst it is unlikely the name refers to him, it could well be that his ancestors had long been working as woodmen in Bagley Wood.

Permanent link to this article: