The Avenue

The Avenue street sign

The Avenue was named in the late Thirties after the avenue of elm trees planted by the first Sir George Bowyer in 1798, to commemorate Nelson’s victory at the Battle of the Nile. The road was improved later by the second Sir George Bowyer when he purchased the Kennington Estate (1809) owning also the Bayworth Estate where he was persuaded to mine for coal! The road was previously known as Radley Road with the last of the original trees felled in 1977 due to Dutch Elms Disease.

Permanent link to this article: http://kennington-pc.gov.uk/home/mini019/