Sandford Lane

Sandford Lane street sign

No prizes for working out that this ancient lane with its stream which forms the southern boundary of the Parish is so called as it leads to the riverside at Sandford where once a toll bridge at the King’s Arms public house allowed access to the village of Sandford beyond.
One wonders whether the lane was used by the some 10,000 spectators reported to have attended the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race held there in 1943. Oxford won the 1.25 mile race.

Permanent link to this article: