Upper Road

Upper Road street sign

This is yet another road which received its official title on the formation of the parish in 1936 The name is self-explanatory. Iin its early years the bottom to the Green Lane was known as First Turn with the higher part often referred to as Top Road. As it was not made up for many years it was also know in some quarters as Ashtip Road because of the habit of those villagers who lived along the road tipping the ashes from their fires on the road outside their houses to help make it passable.

Permanent link to this article: http://kennington-pc.gov.uk/home/mini043/