Bagley Wood Road

Bagley Wood Road street sign

This was once the only road to Abingdon, The Avenue being no more than a footpath across fields until Sir George Bowyer improved it in the early 1800s. At this time not surprisingly it was known as The Abingdon Road, and it was not unusual for highwaymen or footpads to hold-up stagecoaches and other travellers nearby on their journeys through the wood. Some of these men when apprehended were hanged from trees within Bagley Wood at Hangman’s Bottom or on Lodge Hill.
At the time of enclosure in 1802, Kennington was a small village together with an adjoining ‘hamlet’ called Little London, which was a group of cottages served by their own well situated at the top of the lower section of the road. As a consequence, this part of the presently named Bagley Wood Road became known as Little London. At the same time the stretch of highway from The Laundry (situated at the junction with St Swithun’s Road) to the main Abingdon Road (A4183) was changed from Abingdon Road to Bagley Wood Road.

Permanent link to this article: https://kennington-pc.gov.uk/home/mini001/