Grundy Crescent

Grundy Crescent street sign

Grundy Crescent was named in 1948 after the late Samuel Grundy, a retired barrister, who became Kennington’s first representative on Abingdon Rural District Council in 1936, having been actively involved in the residents’ campaign in the thirties for the formation of a new independent civil Parish of Kennington.
Added to this Mr Grundy was also a founder member of the National Council of Social Services, a forerunner of the Public Works Loan Board, and the Oxford Mail wrote of him in 1954 ‘One of the people who did much to develop the sturdily independent spirit of Kennington was the late S. P. Grundy. A barrister who devoted much of his life to social and public work. The tradition which he did so much to establish is being continued by his successors’
It is perhaps interesting to add that, although not a member of Kennington Parish Council, he was held in such high regard locally that he was elected Chairman of the Council in 1937 serving until his death in 1942. Mr Grundy lived in what is now Westwood Country Hotel.

Permanent link to this article: https://kennington-pc.gov.uk/home/mini003/