Kirk Close

Kirk Close street sign

Another road named after an early Member of Kennington Parish Council, the Close received its title in 1955 to mark the various civic works of George Kirk who was a member of the Council from 1940 to 1952, serving as Chairman from 1942 to 1947.
Mr Kirk was Chairman of Kennington’s Local Defence Committee during the War and his wife led a group of other bereaved mothers from the village whose initiative resulted in the acquisition of the Memorial Field in 1946. The first suggestion for the development was St Swithun’s Close.

Permanent link to this article: https://kennington-pc.gov.uk/home/mini026/