Highways England will be replacing the street lighting cables at the A423 Hinksey Hill Interchange, to enable the lighting asset to be upgraded to LED luminaires, improving the lighting along the A34 slip roads, reducing energy and CO2 emissions.
Work is currently scheduled to start on Monday 8 January 2018 and is expected to be completed within five weeks. In order to carry out the work as efficiently and safely as possible, we’ll need to put in place the following temporary traffic restrictions overnight, between 9pm and 5am (Monday to Friday only):
- Monday 8 January for three nights – Overnight closure of Hinksey Hill between the entrance for Oxford Architects LLP and the A34 roundabout
- Wednesday 10 January for seven nights – Overnight closure of the A34 Hinksey Hill northbound entry slip road
- Friday 19 January for five nights – Overnight closure of the A34 Hinksey Hill northbound exit slip road
- Friday 26 January for five nights – Overnight closure of the A34 Hinksey Hill southbound entry slip road
- Thursday 1 February for six nights – Overnight closure of the A34 southbound exit slip road
During closures of the slip roads, clearly signed diversions will be in place using the adjacent junctions (A420 Botley Interchange and the A4183 Abingdon North junction); and during closures of Hinksey Hill, a clearly signed diversion will be in place via Oxford Road, the A4183 Abingdon North junction and the A34 (see map in attached letter).
Access will be maintained for emergency service vehicles only.
Please be aware that these works have been carefully programmed but are subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances – please check the yellow signs placed in advance at the junction for confirmation of the closures dates/timings.
We would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience or disruption during our work, and will make every effort to keep noise levels to a minimum. If you have any questions, or if you’d like you know about our work please contact us on 0300 123 5000 or email
More info available on the PDF: 546613 A34 Hinksey Hill Works Letter